Tips for surviving and slaying in Evil Dead
Chief Creative Officer, Saber Interactive
Evil Dead: The Game serves up some delightfully gruesome violence and over the top moments that make for a bloody fun time, but it’s not all scream and no substance: there are many layers to the game and strategies to keep in mind. Whether you’re playing as the heroic Ash Williams and his friends, or as the vile and powerful Kandarian Demon, we’ve assembled our top tips to make sure that you get a helping (severed) hand.
Top tips for Survivors:
For Survivors to win, it takes cunning strategy, synergistic teamwork and always being on your toes. You’ve got to keep a cool head and your eyes on the Necronomicon prize, all while your teammates are being possessed, Deadites are projectile vomiting at you, trees are swinging at you, and much more. Here are some tips for success:
Play as a team: A crew of four Survivors sticking together are much stronger than any single player going off on their own. They can also distribute the loot that they find between each other. They’re also less prone to being scared, and that’ll help keep your fear levels low!
Don’t forget to use the ping system to mark objectives, items, and locations to your teammates! Whether you’re on voice chat or playing without it, communication via the ping system is key for success.
Choose your battles well: If you are together, you can go all in against Deadites and bosses and stand a chance to take them down. But if you are alone and the team is separated, it may be better to run away and live to fight another day.
Stealth is your friend: The Kandarian Demon can see you when your fear levels are high, when you enter a car, and when you shoot. Preventing the demon from finding you quickly will enable you to advance in the early game without major issues.
- High fear levels allow the Demon to see the Survivors on the minimap. This means it can get close to you and start the carnage.
- High fear levels also allow the Demon to possess Survivors, controlling them and turning them against each other.
- Find sources of light, like lamps or bonfires, and light them up to reduce your fear.
Kandarian Demon Tips
Playing as the Kandarian Demon can be a lot of fun. You are an incorporeal evil entity – able to spawn Deadites, frighten Survivors and possess them, set traps, and lots of other diabolical deeds. But to consistently win as the Demon, it will take time and talent to master. Here are some key tips to put you on the path to demonic domination:
Learn the map: Knowing the key points of the map makes it easier and faster for you to find the Survivors.
- The Cleaver County map is huge. Focus on key points to search for Survivors. The center of the map, called Dead End, is a great place to start.
Divide the group: A single survivor dies easily. Scare them and bring them closer to your traps.
- Evil Trees are a great way to slow down one of the Survivors and separate them from the group. Place traps or possess the Survivors, correctly timing the attacks to create distance between them.
Disturb them, scare them, kill them: The power of the Kandarian Demon increases more quickly as it acts against the Survivors. Trick the Survivors into activating your traps, attack them, and possess them. All of this will make you stronger and stronger.
- Warlord is a pretty balanced Demon. Both possessing Deadites and placing traps will do the trick. Use every resource at your disposal to keep the Survivors on their toes.
- Puppeteer is possession based. Searching for the Survivors should be your #1 priority. Using the Deadites already on the map and chasing Survivors down is the key to ending them.
- Necromancer bases its strength in numbers. Placing traps in objective areas will grant you an advantage in the forthcoming fights. Remember to correctly place the flutist! In the ideal situation, placing it in a hidden or obscure location in order to not have the Survivors easily identify and defeat it, but close enough so that it can buff your evil units is key.
We can’t wait for you to get your hands on Evil Dead: The Game when it releases on Friday, May 13 on PS5 and PS4. We’re sure new strategies and metas will be uncovered by the community, and we look forward to evolving the game together, including some big plans on the free downloadable content side. There’s only one thing left to do: As Ash Williams would say: “Come get some!”